What is this Shellac colour my client is requesting?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
I have a client who has moved 10 miles from me but (thankfully) still comes back to have her nails done. She has acrylics

However she has other treatments at a beauty salon down the road from her and it is here that she has seen a supposed "Shellac" colour on a therapist. It is apparently absolutely fantastic and none of my 80 Shellac colours or 50 odd OPI colours were good enough :sad: lol Her therapist told her she could have it on top of her acrylic (as my client has dabbled with Shellac and given up as it doesn't suit her on her natural nails.)

It is an orangey gold with glitter "bits" in it.

I have mother of pearl and Zillionaire but it is not like them. I think she meant the glitter was chunkier than those and without the holographic effect.

Could it be a CND special effects varnish? Could you use one of those on top of Shellac then Shellac top coat over the top? I'm really puzzled as I've looked through my catalogue and can't see anything like it.

Of course it might be called Shellac in the salon but it might not BE Shellac iykwim. Maybe its a gelish or something.

Any help appreciated, I'd like to get this colour because my client is so besotted with it (she went on and on lol) I'm a tad concerned she might go to this local salon (save herself the petrol AND have the colour she's raving about!)

thank you xx

I have no idea what colour she is requesting, there isn't an orange in Shellac.

In answer to your question about CND Colour and Effects, no you cannot put Shellac over the top of the polish. The polish will not dry underneath and the top coat will not bond.

I suspect your guess about it not being Shellac is right, one of my clients was adamant that you could buy Shellac in Boots, I was equally adamant that you couldn't so she went to Boots to check. She then sent me a picture of a bottle of polish sold in Boots called So Lacque by Bourjois. It quite clearly in the picture and on the bottle says So Lacque, and she spelled 'Shellac' correctly in the text message she sent me so why would she think it was the same thing??????? :lol:

Bless them, I love my clients, but they are hard work sometimes :lick::wink2:

Mayb it was tropix with gold VIP, or sounds like a type of rockstar to me.

it sounds like it might be ibd just gel polish in Morocan Spice. It's an orange gold colour with lots of glitter.

It's frustrating when salons refer to all gel polish as Shellac. Shellac isn't even a gel polish! But there definitely isn't an orange shellac.

Gelish tiger blossom with June bride over would be like what you have described.

I think cream puff layered with tropix next and 2 coats of zillionaire .? Maybe 😃

It sounds like Tropix with Gold VIP over it.

Ok so if shes saying orange I think tropix. But gold VIP status is a very fine glitter so it doesn't sounds like that if she is describing it as chunky. I'm inclined to think its something else that she's just calling shellac.

She's seen my Tropix and says that's not it, it's more rust/gold than that?

Don't they drive you mad?

I'm gonna phone the salon near her tomorrow and ask them if they do Shellac . . . . and is it real Shellac . . . . and if it's not Shellac I'm going to ask exactly what brand they use. :idea:

Just thought to say, the therapist told her it was just one coat, then the top coat, so I think we're looking for one colour rather than layers?

Then it's not shellac. End of. Call them and ask them but they will not tell you a shellac name coz its not one :)

She had acrylics on tho lolly, so was saying it was one coat of Shellac over the acrylics, then the top coat. Do you think that's possible?

Shellac or any Gel Polish can be put over enhancements, yes.

So she may well be wearing a Soak Off Product over her L&P, but it's very likely it isn't Shellac but one of a vast number of Gel Polishes x

It's NOT shellac. I had a client with the exact same today. She described it on the phone as an orangey coral Colour with a gold sparkle as she wanted the same done again....I thought tropix and gold VIP but when she came in it wasn't. She said the bottle was the same as shellac and the label was different. But the girl who did it for her said it was called shellac. Thankfully she liked tropix and gold VIP better!!!!

OK, thanks . . . so you just did the Shellac as usual then applied the gold VIP, which is just a polish, over the top? I must get some gold VIP when I go to the Creative shop

Although my lady wasn't mad on Tropix :sad:

So annoying isn't it . . . you can't blame the client though, being fed wrong information.

OK, thanks . . . so you just did the Shellac as usual then applied the gold VIP, which is just a polish, over the top? I must get some gold VIP when I go to the Creative shop

Although my lady wasn't mad on Tropix :sad:

So annoying isn't it . . . you can't blame the client though, being fed wrong information.

Gold VIP status is shellac

You could try adding a dusting of glitter, not full on rock star but just a sprinkle / twinkle.

When the additives. Come out you will be able to make orange in the inhabition layer and then add glitter with that.

Gold VIP status is a shellac colour, there is also silver VIP status in shellac aswell.

X

I've also had a client with this colour on and she said it was also shellac.
Problem was I couldn't get the thing of, had to buff of in the end. Hence to say It wasnt shellac!!

She had acrylics on tho lolly, so was saying it was one coat of Shellac over the acrylics, then the top coat. Do you think that's possible?

No because there is no shellac colour like she is explaining. And especially with her saying its only one coat. Believe me :)

OK thanks for hanging on in there,you must read this.

She has rung me this morning and left a message. She asked at the salon what it was and was told it was definitely a Shellac colour and it is called . . . . .

STRAWBERRY MOUSSE :eek:

She then buys glittery shaped things from the craft shop and whacks them on top before sealing it in with a top coat.

Clearly my client is doing her best to enable me to get the colour for her, which is really sweet, esp as this lady in the salon is down the road from her, 10 miles from me. I have never heard of Strawberry Mousse though, and it has occurred to me that she is being given false info deliberately to avoid the effect being copied . . . . they know she has her nails done elsewhere, obviously, and would like her custom.

Also, something called strawberry anything is going to be pink, not orange/bronze - isn't it? :rolleyes:

Edit to add: I see LeChat do a colour called Strawberry Mousse but its bright bloo.y pink ??!

Latest posts

Back