Advice on courses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a whole new world isn't it! :eek:

Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask.

Yes it is. I feel like that little man...only I need matchsticks to keep my eyes open tonight, haha!

Thank you :)

Thanks!

I'm jealous, haha.

What would be a good second best? Something a wee bit more affordable?
Have you tried looking at your local college to do your NVQ2 or NVQ3 in Nail Technology? That may be a worthwhile route? If time or funds are a problem I know some colleges do evening courses, and some help pay for your books, etc, if your funds are low. Well 8 years ago when I was at college I know some of the people on my course got funding for equipment and books. HTH. X :)

Have you tried looking at your local college to do your NVQ2 or NVQ3 in Nail Technology? That may be a worthwhile route? If time or funds are a problem I know some colleges do evening courses, and some help pay for your books, etc, if your funds are low. Well 8 years ago when I was at college I know some of the people on my course got funding for equipment and books. HTH. X :)

Thanks. It would but I work evenings so it wouldn't be possible. =(
I know there are places, maybe some do daytime courses I can look at.

My certificate isn't worthless. I wanted to do it for myself and found I really enjoyed it...if I hadn't I wouldn't have considered doing it legitimately. It is accredited by HABIA CPD, The Beauty Guild and The Guild of Beauty Therapists, and the course wasn't pants.

Thanks for your helpful reply! I'll do that now. Well maybe I'll call Sweet Squared tomorrow as I doubt they'll be around tonight! I'll look at threads though. Thank you.

I dont think Gigi meant it in the way that you have taken it. Also As this is the only course you have taken you can't really tell if it wasn't pants to be fair as you have no previous expreience of the correct way the Shellac class should be taught, so compared to the legititmate course from what I have been told by my students who have done other companies Shellac training their certificates were not worth the paper they are printed on. And they have learnt so much more by doing the correct and official training and end up wishing they hadn't wasted their money by doing their courses elsewhere.
To get insurance you will have to have done some form of manicure or pedicure class first.
Just because a course is accredited doesn't mean it is legit and correct. If it is just shellac that you have learnt then you will not be covered for a proper manicure and pedicure treatment as you wont have gone over the required format.
The shellac class wont be an actual manicure class, it is a course run by a completely different company who in all honesty haven't trained you the "OFFICIAL" CND way. I mean why take someone elses course to learn a different companies product.
I myself have trained students in the official CND way after they took a course run by another company as they were fnding issues with the previous training and incorrect information that they were given. You end up paying twice to get the genuine article when you could have paid just once for the correct training by the brand that produces the product. Not good business sense really.
And as Gigi stated the only way you will be able to legitimately purchase your Shellac products is through the authorised distributors and sub distributors for SweetSquared. Unfortunatly without an actual Manicure and pedicure certificate you will not be able to set up an account, which leaves you in the quandry of having to source your stock from unauthorised sellers, which in turn will help fund, theives, crime and If you buy from unauthorised sources you are leaving yourself wide open for endless problems and with no come back if something goes wrong.
Jen xx

I dont think Gigi meant it in the way that you have taken it. Also As this is the only course you have taken you can't really tell if it wasn't pants to be fair as you have no previous expreience of the correct way the Shellac class should be taught, so compared to the legititmate course from what I have been told by my students who have done other companies Shellac training their certificates were not worth the paper they are printed on. And they have learnt so much more by doing the correct and official training and end up wishing they hadn't wasted their money by doing their courses elsewhere.
To get insurance you will have to have done some form of manicure or pedicure class first.
Just because a course is accredited doesn't mean it is legit and correct. If it is just shellac that you have learnt then you will not be covered for a proper manicure and pedicure treatment as you wont have gone over the required format.
The shellac class wont be an actual manicure class, it is a course run by a completely different company who in all honesty haven't trained you the "OFFICIAL" CND way. I mean why take someone elses course to learn a different companies product.
I myself have trained students in the official CND way after they took a course run by another company as they were fnding issues with the previous training and incorrect information that they were given. You end up paying twice to get the genuine article when you could have paid just once for the correct training by the brand that produces the product. Not good business sense really.
And as Gigi stated the only way you will be able to legitimately purchase your Shellac products is through the authorised distributors and sub distributors for SweetSquared. Unfortunatly without an actual Manicure and pedicure certificate you will not be able to set up an account, which leaves you in the quandry of having to source your stock from unauthorised sellers, which in turn will help fund, theives, crime and If you buy from unauthorised sources you are leaving yourself wide open for endless problems and with no come back if something goes wrong.
Jen xx

Thanks for the information! I'm doing my manicure and pedicure courses next - I knew it wasn't for that. As soon as I do get the certificate I will then be able to go to SweetSquared for the polishes and equipment. That's my plan anyway.

If I had the money I would 100% do the CND course, it looks awesome. Sadly I don't, I wish there was a way to pay in installments!

Thanks for the information! I'm doing my manicure and pedicure courses next - I knew it wasn't for that. As soon as I do get the certificate I will then be able to go to SweetSquared for the polishes and equipment. That's my plan anyway.

If I had the money I would 100% do the CND course, it looks awesome. Sadly I don't, I wish there was a way to pay in installments!
Bless ya.
See I'm lucky enough to have been made redundant (that sounds odd doesn't it? Voluntary redundancy from the military I may add! Lol.) so I'm ok to fund it, but it must be tough for yourself and others like yourself to fund it from the start up.

All I can say is, if you really wanted to do the CND Complete, save all you can, and eventually you'll get there. It may be in a couple of years but if you really want it you'll do it. Alternatively though, if you work evenings, most colleges do full time day courses in NVQ2 and 3? Or is that not an option?

It's so tough isn't it when you really want to do something. Don't worry, you'll get there in the end. Just keep researching and searching down all routes. Just be weary of courses offering Gel or Acrylics in a one day course. Take it from me, it's not enough time. Fine for spray tanning and eyelash extensions, providing you have a thorough knowledge of appropriate anatomy and contra indications but not for Gel and Acrylics. One day isn't enough to learn and perfect something as hard as them. :) x

Bless ya.
See I'm lucky enough to have been made redundant (that sounds odd doesn't it? Voluntary redundancy from the military I may add! Lol.) so I'm ok to fund it, but it must be tough for yourself and others like yourself to fund it from the start up.

All I can say is, if you really wanted to do the CND Complete, save all you can, and eventually you'll get there. It may be in a couple of years but if you really want it you'll do it. Alternatively though, if you work evenings, most colleges do full time day courses in NVQ2 and 3? Or is that not an option?

It's so tough isn't it when you really want to do something. Don't worry, you'll get there in the end. Just keep researching and searching down all routes. Just be weary of courses offering Gel or Acrylics in a one day course. Take it from me, it's not enough time. Fine for spray tanning and eyelash extensions, providing you have a thorough knowledge of appropriate anatomy and contra indications but not for Gel and Acrylics. One day isn't enough to learn and perfect something as hard as them. :) x

Yes that does sound odd but sometimes these things are a blessing in disguise!

It could be, but I am also studying full-time with the Open University for my degree of which I have one year left. I work 16:00-00:00 then 07:00-09:00 Monday to Thursday. I COULD try and do it but I'm not sure of the workload of the nail course on top of my degree.

I thought as much about the gel or acrylics. I have seen longer courses though so I'll consider them!

I've also seen a distance learning NCFE course: NCFE Level 2 Nail Technician - Open Study College
What do you think?

I did a level 3 course, one day a week for 23 weeks, and we paid in monthly installments. At our college you can actually split the modules up so you can do manicure, gel, acrylic, nail art etc on separate courses. In Essex so not much use for you but I'm sure other colleges would offer different options. It's a privately run place, rather than education authority college.

When I was coming towards the end of my MA degree and working part time, I decided to do my nvq2 in beauty therapy because after uni, I could see myself most wanting to work in beauty.

I did nvq2 with the carlton institute because it allowed me to study in my own time and start the course asap. To be honest, the distance learning nature of things didn't compliment my other commitments that well: that is to say that I think I would have been better off going to college in the evenings to do the same thing...it would have given me more supervised support with the practical and paper work (i spent a lot of time on the portfolio at home but this could have been done much quicker with a tutor in college).

What I'm saying is that if you're serious about embracing beauty as a key source of income after university, then i recommend doing a course that leads to a qualification and as part of that, don't rush into doing distance learning because the ammount of paper work can be such that for the sake of that time, it may be better spent attending college for a number of hours a week.

In terms of being at uni and deciding to change to nails/beauty, ask me anything because I was going through the same thing in this respect a few years ago.

I did a level 3 course, one day a week for 23 weeks, and we paid in monthly installments. At our college you can actually split the modules up so you can do manicure, gel, acrylic, nail art etc on separate courses. In Essex so not much use for you but I'm sure other colleges would offer different options. It's a privately run place, rather than education authority college.

Thanks for the information, I'll Google!

When I was coming towards the end of my MA degree and working part time, I decided to do my nvq2 in beauty therapy because after uni, I could see myself most wanting to work in beauty.

I did nvq2 with the carlton institute because it allowed me to study in my own time and start the course asap. To be honest, the distance learning nature of things didn't compliment my other commitments that well: that is to say that I think I would have been better off going to college in the evenings to do the same thing...it would have given me more supervised support with the practical and paper work (i spent a lot of time on the portfolio at home but this could have been done much quicker with a tutor in college).

What I'm saying is that if you're serious about embracing beauty as a key source of income after university, then i recommend doing a course that leads to a qualification and as part of that, don't rush into doing distance learning because the ammount of paper work can be such that for the sake of that time, it may be better spent attending college for a number of hours a week.

In terms of being at uni and deciding to change to nails/beauty, ask me anything because I was going through the same thing in this respect a few years ago.

Thanks for the information.

It is a tough decision to make to go from degree to beauty! Would you mind if I PM's you to chat?

yep course you can pm me :)

Going from uni to beauty can be a hard decision to make in the sense that it may go against what many people will say that expected you to do.

What it came down to was not being able to face the thought of doing a graduate job and being miserable. I know that if I used my degree I could probably get nicer money and nicer hours but I think that happiness also has a level of value that needs to be considered too.

I would ultimately like to teach beauty after getting 5 plus years experience under my belt. I feel that I'm an intelligent person with a lot to offer (on my confident days!).

It was a big decision deciding to retrain in beauty but I was so bored of the job ladder that was previously on that it got to a point where it felt very necessary. Glad I did it :)

There are days where I think "why did I go to uni" but it was still a massively constructive experience in the grand scheme of things. I wish I'd trained in beauty sooner some times but better late than never :)

yep course you can pm me :)

Going from uni to beauty can be a hard decision to make in the sense that it may go against what many people will say that expected you to do.

What it came down to was not being able to face the thought of doing a graduate job and being miserable. I know that if I used my degree I could probably get nicer money and nicer hours but I think that happiness also has a level of value that needs to be considered too.

I would ultimately like to teach beauty after getting 5 plus years experience under my belt. I feel that I'm an intelligent person with a lot to offer (on my confident days!).

It was a big decision deciding to retrain in beauty but I was so bored of the job ladder that was previously on that it got to a point where it felt very necessary. Glad I did it :)

There are days where I think "why did I go to uni" but it was still a massively constructive experience in the grand scheme of things. I wish I'd trained in beauty sooner some times but better late than never :)

Thankyou. I will do but I am so tired now I'd just be rambling so I'll do it tomorrow :)

When I studied at college we had an open day. A 16yr old started asking questions regarding the course. She then went on to say that she was planning to go to uni to study law but really wanted to do beauty. You could actually see the sadness in her eyes and it was apparent that she did not want to study law. I asked her why go to uni when you don't want to. She then went on to say her parents wanted her to and that she would have a better life. I told her, this is your life, not your parents, it's you that's going to be going to a job that you will most probably hate as your heart isn't in it from the start. I honestly felt so so sorry for this girl.

Life is hard as it is without doing something you don't care about. What's the point in going to work everyday and hating what your doing.

Life's too short!!!! xx

Joflakes, you work 7-9 then do full time study, then work 16:00 till midnight. When do you eat and sleep? Where are you going to find the time to practice cause no matter what course you take(if it's not full time), you will have to practice (a lot) before you start on real clients.
You will also need time to set up a business, unless you plan to work for someone else but from what I've read I think you want to do this 'on the side'. You will only get out what you put in and I think you would have to give up something else before you have time for nails.
Why would you pay for an open uni course and then not give it your best shot because you spent the time you should have been using to study for doing nails (or catching up on sleep!). If you intend to give up the uni in place of the nails then I apologise but I got the impression you intended to finish your course.
Sorry if this sounds harsh but I think you need to think this through before you spend any more money on courses and/or burn yourself out and/or fail your uni course.
Good luck x

When I studied at college we had an open day. A 16yr old started asking questions regarding the course. She then went on to say that she was planning to go to uni to study law but really wanted to do beauty. You could actually see the sadness in her eyes and it was apparent that she did not want to study law. I asked her why go to uni when you don't want to. She then went on to say her parents wanted her to and that she would have a better life. I told her, this is your life, not your parents, it's you that's going to be going to a job that you will most probably hate as your heart isn't in it from the start. I honestly felt so so sorry for this girl.

Life is hard as it is without doing something you don't care about. What's the point in going to work everyday and hating what your doing.

Life's too short!!!! xx

True!

Joflakes, you work 7-9 then do full time study, then work 16:00 till midnight. When do you eat and sleep? Where are you going to find the time to practice cause no matter what course you take(if it's not full time), you will have to practice (a lot) before you start on real clients.
You will also need time to set up a business, unless you plan to work for someone else but from what I've read I think you want to do this 'on the side'. You will only get out what you put in and I think you would have to give up something else before you have time for nails.
Why would you pay for an open uni course and then not give it your best shot because you spent the time you should have been using to study for doing nails (or catching up on sleep!). If you intend to give up the uni in place of the nails then I apologise but I got the impression you intended to finish your course.
Sorry if this sounds harsh but I think you need to think this through before you spend any more money on courses and/or burn yourself out and/or fail your uni course.
Good luck x

Thanks for the reply, it doesn't seem harsh at all and I didn't make it all entirely clear. I have a job that allows me to do study at the same time for my OU courses. I therefore have 10-4 Tues, Weds and Thurs free and Friday from 9am until Monday at 3pm free.

I'm just looking at all my options right now! Thoughts at the moment were along the lines of getting information, doing a few short courses for my own pleasure in the summer when I don't have my OU courses running and practice on friends etc, then if I like it I can carry on practicing and in Sept 2013 go to college for a year to study properly for an NVQ or suchlike.

I hope that makes it all a bit clearer! I'm sadly not Super Woman....I wish I was! :D

Sorry I know this is nothing to do with advice on courses but i need to run around shouting as I'm mega excited to be booked on CND Complete!! Eek. Tooooo exciting. :-D Just booked up! Eek! Eeeek! Eeeeek! :) P.S. Debbie in charge of education is soooooo nice.

Latest posts

Back