Feeling like I have wasted 2 years !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi don't get offered but have you only just qualified and come out of college with little or no beauty salon experience? maybe people are affraid to try someone out of college as i had this problem when i started to take on a new therapist out of college no one wanted to go to her. So mayb what you need to do is go and rent a small beauty room in your area with some offers to get them in an then slowly if you want to still do it mobile then you can slowly do rent a room less and less.

I have not written that I am new anywhere on my website for that reason so I don't think anyone would know ;) , things are looking up and since I have made those suggested adjustments to my website the phone has started to ring so I would like to thank every single one of you for your support xx :hug:

Have you thought about structured networking? Someone here mentioned networking in the sense of giving talks to groups which I'd definitely agree with but do have a look at your local networking groups. I didn't know a soul when I relocated to open my business and networking was perfect (even though I thought I'd hate it - how wrong can you be....)

I don't know what you have locally but I use:

Chamber of Commerce (cheap and you get to hear all the local gossip)
Athena (women only - not cheap but more than paid for itself and is huge fun)
Ladies who Latte (women only but just pitch up and buy a coffee)
Business Biscotti (mixed and again no committment, just £2-3 for a coffee)
Refer-On (very expensive and requires committment but worth going to their open/visitor events if nothing else (I went to one and about 10 months later someone I met there had an accident, remembered me and I got about £1,600 of business from him)
BNI (similar to Refer-On, not for the weak-willed)

And there are probably lots more. I think these all have mtgs all over the country. Enjoy!

Thank you, I will check those out straight away ! :)

From one oldie to another!!! (had my big 40 in July). I too have spent the past two years in college and am trained in beauty and holistics. My hubby is in the process of converting a treatment room for me at home which should hopefully be up and running within a few weeks. I have put posters and leaflets up in the area advertising the mobile side but have had no takers yet. It is disheartening and marketing is hard work. Have you tried putting posters in local sports centres, ads in local paper and local companies? I am thinking of taking previous thread advice and offer half price treatments at home for November and 25% discount on mobile. Let us know how you get on.

Oooh I'm another old bird just starting out! lol

I'm *cough* 42 *cough*, if you say it quick enough it doesn't sound too bad. ;0)

I'm just waiting for my printing to be done, 1000 A6 back to back colour leaflets £120 and 5000 were about £155. Then I'm aiming to bribe my children plus there friends to do a spot of child labour with the leaflet drops!

It's very daunting starting up, hopefully we'll all still be here in a years time giving help to fellow newbies. Fingers crossed! x

Child labour can be good! But as I am even older at 47 (and just started out) my kids are older and hairier and not so easy to involve. But then that is what younger nieces and nephews are for :lol: Seriously though, both enjoy the benefits of what aunty does so it works out.

Good luck with your new businesses. I know someone who was in her 40s when she started out and now has a highly successful beauty business at home and growing throughout the recent recession. We can do it!

Caroline x

Latest posts

Back