i think ive ruined my gel brush

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lotus blossom

Reaction score
by wiping it loads in scrubfresh everytime ive finished with it:cry:
and now the edges have gone fluffy!!:eek:

can i revive it or do i need a new one?

if so what do you all recommend?
the one i have is the one that comes in the brisa kit from creative nail design ,
( sorry dont know what its called and my book is at work)

put some gel on it...wipe it to shape (so the hairs stick together) and leave it in a dark place.....then see how it is tomorrow. x

I never clean my brush....i just wipe the most of the gel off with a clean dry lint free wipe and leave it.

oopsy... you won't do that again mate... it's definitely going to brush heaven! I did the same with one of mine.

When you replace it try to get the Designer Nails gel brush, I have one and love it, it's cheap too :D
You shouldn't need to clean your gel brush with anything more than a wipe on a lint free pad.
hth's

It sounds like it has got the frizzy hair day look babe, the petiti gel brush is fab but there is also the oval one, both from CND.

I never clean my brush lol, I just squeeze it between a lint free pad and put it away in a dark box.....

its normal for them to wear out like that, same thing happens with paint brushes (am an artist by trade) and we are taught to clean them well with scrubfresh by Creative them selfs otherwise product can and does cure in them even if not exposed to UVA.. depending on how much you use your creative gel brush they do have a rather short life span.

its normal for them to wear out like that, same thing happens with paint brushes (am an artist by trade) and we are taught to clean them well with scrubfresh by Creative them selfs otherwise product can and does cure in them even if not exposed to UVA.. depending on how much you use your creative gel brush they do have a rather short life span.

i have been using the same gel brush for 2 years now...never cleaned it and its never had gel cured in it...:green:

That's not actually true... I've had my gel brush for over a year and all I use to clean it is a lint free pad.
The reason they go fluffy is the acetone in the Scrubfresh, also 'scrubbing' the gel out of them doesn't help either.
Product won't cure unless the brush is exposed to light, if the brush is stored in a dark place then it won't cure.

ohhhh why did i think it needed cleaning in scrubfresh!!!!
yep its definately got an afro going on!!
will look in catalogue tomorrow and choose a new one
though i will try your idea too angie
thanks all xx

ps i think im always afraid that any gel left in it will cure and make it rock hard!!

I have been using the same brush for 2years+ now, if you press most of the gel out of it, its is vertually gel free and then put it in a box so light cant get to it, it will be fine...

That's not actually true... I've had my gel brush for over a year and all I use to clean it is a lint free pad.
The reason they go fluffy is the acetone in the Scrubfresh, also 'scrubbing' the gel out of them doesn't help either.
Product won't cure unless the brush is exposed to light, if the brush is stored in a dark place then it won't cure.

See I find the consistancy of Creatives teaching bad in this light... am finding many different viriations on the teachings... we are taught to completely clean your gel brush in scrub fresh (wipe left right left right on a pad with scrub fresh on it) no matter where the school brushes are kept they seem to cure. we are also told not to expect the brush to have a long life (even our own it seems) Could also be a ploy as the price of creative products in this country is Horific.

College by a creative ambasitor (or so we are told) It shouldnt matter thou because the teaching should be consistant with either Direct teaching from creative or being taught by a creative ambasitor. I leave most days completely annoyed lol so I imagine the 'bad' teaching is comming from the tutor.

College by a creative ambasitor (or so we are told) It shouldnt matter thou because the teaching should be consistant with either Direct teaching from creative or being taught by a creative ambasitor. I leave most days completely annoyed lol so I imagine the 'bad' teaching is comming from the tutor.
You can not compare the education of a college to a Creative Academy, regardless of who the tutor is.
College's have their own way of doing things and they are usually quite different to the way academies teach, Creative or otherwise.

. we are taught to completely clean your gel brush in scrub fresh (wipe left right left right on a pad with scrub fresh on it)

This is what I do and I have had my brush for at least 6 months now and there is nothing wrong with it.

I did my training at an Academy and was also told to clean my Gel brush by wiping it left to right on a lint free pad with scrubfresh on it....I must admit that I don't use it that often (poss once or twice every two or three weeks) as I do more l&p than Gel, but it looks as good as new to me.....:)

I learned with artist paint brushes to clean all paint off brush with warm water and soap, wipe dry or almost dry then take a bar of soap that has a bit of water on it and swipe the brush on it to get the soap on the bristles. This keeps it from going frizzy. If you get product up in the farrel of the brush then it will seperate the bristles and you will find yourself buying a new one.
Now I am talking acrylic paint not gel, but I wonder if the product wouldn't get up inside the farrel and help destroy the brush.

I learned with artist paint brushes to clean all paint off brush with warm water and soap, wipe dry or almost dry then take a bar of soap that has a bit of water on it and swipe the brush on it to get the soap on the bristles. This keeps it from going frizzy. If you get product up in the farrel of the brush then it will seperate the bristles and you will find yourself buying a new one.
Now I am talking acrylic paint not gel, but I wonder if the product wouldn't get up inside the farrel and help destroy the brush.
The viscosity of gel stops it running into the ferrule of the brush, if any remaining gel is removed with a clean, dry, lint free pad there isn't a problem.

thanks all xx

ps i think im always afraid that any gel left in it will cure and make it rock hard!!

So thats whats i did to destroy mine!! I'm always scrub freshing it!
Thats something else to add to my OSNS list xx

thanks all xx

I wipe mine on a pad with scrubfresh as this is what I was taught
Looks like I wont be doing that again.:eek:

I find if I dont wipe it with scrubfresh I get bits of fluff even though I use lint free pads, what do you use to wipe your brushes? I was thinking about just using Kitchen Roll.

Excerpts from my Educators Manual

• When not in use keep your brush away from all UV light sources to prevent gel, from curing or hardening. this includes your UV Gel lamp, true colour lights, and sunlight, especially windows.

• Do not pick cured gel out of your brush it will eventually cause the brush to fray and lose it's shape.

• Never clean your brush in any kind of brush cleaner; simply wipe it clean with a plastic backed lint free pad after use.

I have wiped my brush on a lint free wipe, slighly dampened with scrubfresh quite often though...and it is still in great condition. I also dip it in a little Scrubfresh when tidying up my smiles with no harmfull effects.

I think Nikki's problem was the "loads of Scrubfresh"

Latest posts

Back