Book worms.... what are you reading???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bryony said:
A Child called IT - read all 3 in about 4 days. Don't think I've ever cried so much but absolutely compelling. That guy is such an inspiration, to go through all that and not turn out bitter and twisted.

is this the one which was serialized in part in the Daily Mail...about the awful mother...? Was going to get it

I luurve my books especially horror & thrillers, couldnt choose a fav author but i especially love dean koontz, richard laymon, james herbert, lee childs,martina coleman, james patterson and chrie ryan and will read anything they write. I have tons of books stored in the garage :lol:
I used too read loads i tend to get really into a book & read it to the end but i havent had time lately. ;) Anyway went to the libray yesterday so im set for the week, im going to start Dean koontz "life expectancy".

Im not really a book worm, I never do find the time, but at the minute Im reading 'Last Man Down' the firemans story all about 9.11. Such a sad sad read but its gripping. Would recommend this to everyone

I am addicted to Harry Potter! i love it! im reading the order of the phoenix for the 3rd time at the mo. cant wait for the new book!!!!!!!

also love the handmaids tale. my friends told me to read it when they had to read for A level english too!

The magic cottage is a good 'un,

and i want to read a child called it and the other 2 he has wrote.

RedAdmiral said:
I Must get that!
Thanks so much Vodka Babe If you dont mind I'd love a little read and I'll take the best care of it!!! Pretty spooky eh? reading about what could happen

Hi again RedAdmiral

Ok, I'll pm you when I've finished the book and we can swap addresses :)

Kind regards,

Vod
X

Lily said:
I am reading Sickened at the moment, cant remember the author but it about a young girl who's mum has munchausen syndrome!!! Heartbreaking stuff,

Amanda

Ive read that, very inspiring to read people overcoming such terrible things though. Ive just finished reading 'A man named Dave' by David Pelzter. 3rd of his autobiographies, The first one 'A child called IT' is a book i never thought i could read! completely heart wrenching, if your stomachs up to it,this book is life changing, I read and couldnt believe what the words were saying, its about this young boy , David , and his mother is pure evil, he is emotionally abused by her, made to eat animal feceaus, starved etc.. and worse.

i must agree with sal, i read all 3 phillip pullman books during my hols last year.
much to the disgust of my daughter, as my mum had bought them for her!
they came very close to being as good as harry potter.
i think the idea was more original, but potter just grabbed me a bit more.
angels is the prequel to the divinci code, but i think he wrote it after the code, so it should b fine to read it 2nd.

after reading through this thread, it makes u realise that as it goes for a bunch of people who r in a profession that is looked upon as a "bit soft", we all read loads & we all read thought provoking stuff!
liza x

Sickend by Julie Gregory..................I read that over one weekend, couldn't put it down.............
Not without my daughter by Betty Mahmoody... A mothers story about, life in Iran, and the fight to return back to her home in USA with her daughter...........very very moving.........
Princess by Jean P. Sasson the real life of an arabian princess........the oppression, the total male control in their society.........
Daughters of Arabia by Jean P Sasson ............. the follow on from Princess..........
Sold by Zana Muhsen, 2 teenage sisters think they are going on holiday to visit relatives in North Yemen............. It turns into a nightmare........ modern day slavery story...
Two children behind a wall by Catherine Layelle....... You wouldn't think this could happen in Europe.. again a mothers fight for her two young boys..........
Harry Potter lol all of them..............
All of David Peltzer's books ........

my latests is A series of unfortunate events by Lemony Snicket: I am up to book 5 now.........

Ruth I've read loads of those... brilliant books! I'm reading The New Primal Scream by Dr Arthur Janov - it's freaking fascinating... I totally should have been a physcotherapist!!!

Mrs Geek said:
Ruth I've read loads of those... brilliant books! I'm reading The New Primal Scream by Dr Arthur Janov - it's freaking fascinating... I totally should have been a physcotherapist!!!

LOL thats the one Lynette my Comp model, well part time Comp model lol, is reading at the moment...........when she has finished it's my turn.... can't wait........I love those books xxx

I started reading The Little Prisoner on friday and finished it by 2.30pm (I don't just read books, I eat them!!!)...what a book!! I've read A Boy Called It, The Kid, Sickened...another brilliant book is One Child by Torey Hayden, absolubtely brilliant - it's a about a young teacher who teaches children with severe pyscolgical (sp) disabilties.
I read Running With Scissors the other day, it's the oddest book ever, very strange but fascinating. These are all autobiographys about childhoods. They're all quite shocking, but amazing reads.

The crappest book I've ever read though...is Flaubert's Parrot...anyone who comes across it, burn it. I had to read it for A Level English (can't believe people would read this out of choice!!). It bored and confused the hell out of me...I read it 2 weeks before the exam which didnt help lol.

Anyone else got any books that they WOULDN'T recommend..?!

xxlaylaxx

An autobiography that reads like a novel and is scary (if you like alcohol, drugs, et al, of ANY kind) thought-provoking, emotionally-wringing, uplifting and unputdownable is A MILLION TINY PIECES by JAMES FREY.

If you are SERIOUSLY into personal growth, try THE POWER OF NOW by Eckhart Tolle. (life-changing!!!)

Would love feedback if you try them.....Fiona

Tickled Pink! said:
The cross stitch series of books by Diana Gabaldon (cross Stitch, dragon fly in amber, voyager, drums of autumn, the fiery cross) are MY ALL TIME FAVOURITES. Jackie - you MUST read these in the right order...i am eagerly awaiting the publication of the latest one - a breathe of snow and ashes.

I am just Sooooo in lurve with Jamie Frazer....

No......No......No....... ye Sassenach! Jamie is MINE!!! LMAO. Every woman I know who has read the Cross Stitch books has fallen head over heels in love with him! Can you imagine that? ooooh - I am so excited now, another one coming soon, I can't wait. Thanks for that little snippet! The Lord John one is difficult to get hold of now, I keep trying to find it on Ebay from time to time.

Must just ask - does anyone get possessive over their books? Or maybe just certain books? I won't let my Diana Gabaldon ones our of my sight! And I put all my favourites in a protective vinyl! Sad huh?

Barbara Erskine is another favourite of mine - nobody gets their sticky fingers on them either! LOL

Bryony - Mark Billingham is excellent, you must read his other books. The first one is 'Sleepy Head', the second 'Scaredy Cat' and the third I read is 'Lazy Bones' - all gripping stuff and kept me in suspense to the very end. There is another out now called 'The Burning Girl' - I'm sending Sean out to the bookstore tomorrow!!

Finished 'The Davinci Code' a few days ago - great book!

Currently reading Citizen Soldiers by Stephen Ambrose.

Have read Peltzer's books and every time some trashy mag publishes some "I was abused!" sensationalised story from a washed out star, I have a penchant to send them one of his books.

*LOL* Read the DaVinci Code. Very hookable! Still trying to convince my cousin that it's actually a work of fiction....

I read Dante's Inferno over and over again. I love coming back to it.

Juat got Davinci Code, havnt picked it up yet, dont seem to find the time as much these days, anyway it better be good guys!!!!!!!!!

Amanda

Just finished 'The Taking' by Dean Koontz - bit weird. Don't know what to go for next, 'The Fiery Cross' is calling me but I'll wait till the next book is out. Just bought Mark Billingham's 'The Burning Girl', but it's a 1st/1st Edition and I don't like reading those! Also got a signed proof of his yet unpublished 'Lifeless', due to be publlished in June, that probably won't be read either! LOL Sean hates it when I do this, I'll end up buying another copy of each so we can read them!

I'll probably go with Dan Brown's 'Angels & Demons' next.

Anyone read 'The Woman in White' by Wilkie Collins? I hadn't heard of it before Lloyd Webber's latest musical, but it sounds pretty good.

Hiya
I have a couple of books on the go, yep start one, put it down cos the phone rings or something, forget about it pick another up read 2 more pages of and the same happens again....................i wish i had the time to read more than one or two pages of a book.....i love reading books but i just dont seem to find the time anymore so i read Tatler, Vogue, ok and closer (covers all the spectrum), much easier reading..............well look at the pics lol
I have been trying ton read sickend for the past 8 months or so!!! how bad am i LOL
Amanda

I'd like to feel Robbie, I can tell ya...LoL:lol:
Mrs Gadget said:
I'm reading Feel by Robbie Williams

Jue xxx

Cath.p. said:
I'd like to feel Robbie, I can tell ya...LoL:lol:

LOL! So would I!

I've just started reading Feel - good so far!

JackieMc said:
Anyone read 'The Woman in White' by Wilkie Collins? I hadn't heard of it before Lloyd Webber's latest musical, but it sounds pretty good.

Hiya Jackie,

'Woman in White'....highly recommend it, I read it years (about 10!) ago for 'A' Level English Lit, but now you have reminded me I think a re-read will be in order.

I'm a big Patricia Cornwell fan, I've read all the Scarpetta novels. The 'Celestine Prophecy' by James Redfield....ab fab!
All the Harry Potter books.....waiting with baited breath for the next one....hurry up.
I can still read 'Wuthering Heights' even after all these years, it never loses its appeal.
'Angela's Ashes' was fabuous, loved it! Still got to read ''Tis' though. Must get that next time I'm out and about.
Plus there's Levi's advert out at the moment and the two characters are reciting lines from 'A Midsummer Nights Dream'....god I loved that play! It reminded me of how much I liked it, I could read that again too, oooh and 'Measure for Measure'....I'm a bit of a Shakespeare fan!
I'm terrible though...books just don't last long with me....I can't put the damn things down! Then I get all sad because I've finished them.
K x

Latest posts

Back