Can being a mobile nail technician be a good earner?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a mobile tech of 6 years I have info to add. Katie is right in that it is not a quick way to make money, but she is also wrong in saying that mobile is not a long term viable option IMO.

It took me about 18 months to turn a profit, and another 18 months to get a regular client base with regular referrals. I work 9am til 3pm Monday to Friday with 3 evenings from 6:30pm. On a full day I can see 5 enhancement clients, I can do a french L+P rebablance in just under 90 mins leaving 10 mins for setting up/packing away/money/next appt and up to 30 mins to get to my next client. As my kids get older I can expand my working hours.

I charge similar or more than salons in my area because I have invested in my training and I am good at what I do. Even after 6 years mobile I have no intention of becoming salon based because mobile suits me, my life and my clients.

To make being mobile successful: get your prices right - if you set yourself too cheap you wont make any money, be disciplined with your time - make appts that maximise your time and travelling, be professional - offer a 'salon quality' service and be aware that you are offering a personal home-based service (like a personal trainer would).

Good luck with it all.

Hth's

Unfortunately this thread has gone the way of many others recently and as a long standing member I want to apologise for this.

I brought up my son on my own as a mobile therapist, I started when my husband ran off to create his empire, his words, not mine! I worked hard and advertised in Yellow Pages and built up quickly with this and word of mouth. I moved to a new city about 3 years later and started all over again, worked even better second time around.

I think you are extremely sensible to be asking questions now and thinking about your future business.

My advice to you would be to make sure you do your homework regarding costing of products etc and on pricing. Price yourself sensibly, not too cheap but not so expensive that you cannot retain clients. If you treat your clients like the most important person and at the same time not taking any nonsense from some you will do very well. Client retention is the key, make it so they don't want anyone else doing their treatments.

I wish you the best in this business my darling, and do feel free to ask if you need any other advice.

Children please!! :lol:

Amazing the way some take replies as rude when they are not meant that way. Rude is as rude as you wish to read into it!!! If one says that answer in a different tone of voice then it is not rude at all like ... you asked? she answered! Come on, that is not rude .. flippent maybe but not rude.

Now come on all and play nicely and give folks the benefit of the doubt here and try and see things the OTHER way around. Peeps don't post here to be rude, and Katie is at least a geek who tries to be helpful and give back to the site instead of take take take (like some do and never give anything back to others ... (and I'm not pointing the finger at anyone cause we all know who they are).

Now enjoy your Saturday night all and have a good rest of the weekend. :hug:

Thank you very much ladies has helped so much. I will look into prices in my Area defiantly.
Thank you nail vixen, Ladyvic, silver bird,Vetty, shedunlop for you advice. Really will take it in board.
Geeg, I can't wait to be in a position to be able to give others advice :)

Katiebaby, its fine. I did read it thinking you sounded quite aggressive but maybe it wasn't meant that way and I will most def take you're advice :) thank you all.

Vetty and Shedunlop I have found you're posts very promising xx

i would have made a profit on my original investment a long time ago, if cnd didnt keep bringing out all these wonderful treatments to tempt me to reinvest in training and products - shellac, dashing diva, minx etc
im just like chocolate pickle always picking up new pretties .. but as they say you have to speculate to accumulate, i'll get there in the end im just enjoying the scenic route and having a ball x

i would have made a profit on my original investment a long time ago, if cnd didnt keep bringing out all these wonderful treatments to tempt me to reinvest in training and products - shellac, dashing diva, minx etc
im just like chocolate pickle always picking up new pretties .. but as they say you have to speculate to accumulate, i'll get there in the end im just enjoying the scenic route and having a ball x

Ooo you see, there's danger I Amy be the same! Will have to try and discipline myself and start with basics! If you're having a ball though, that's brill.

So to make a very good business out of being a nail technician, need to,

Observe others prices in my area, try keep mine at a good rate but not too high

Advertise in yellow pages, flyers etc
Be as professional as possible, make the client feel special,
Lots of prectice, practice, practice,
Try not to buy too many pretty things at once, start with basics,
Invest in training
Honesty and dedication.
Confidence.
Invest in Shellac!

I'm so nervous! Just scared of failing I suppose. That's the only reason I posted this. It's something I have wanted to do for a while, now I'm on the courses I'm thinking I hope to god I do well enough to be able to support my family - in the long run I mean. I know straight away, for a while, I won't see any profit. Suppose it's a normal feeling for anyone though. :) just want help that's all.
Can't wait to be able to log in here in the near future and be able to give people lots of help and advice instead of asking for it!!!

Xx

Failure is the thing everyone fears, BUT why should you?? If you do a good job, if you give it your all and more importantly, the clients your all and you do gorgeous nails and have a good business brain and a professional attitude then why would you possibly fail?

It is the ones who 'play' around at nails, who are not dedicated to excellence, who charge peanuts who work in the kitchen over an ironing board, or 2 days a week only (some service that is!) who start out with not a penny to their name and buy naff products with naff education .. the ones who have an 'it will do' mentality ... these are the ones who always fail.

Good luck and remember these words!! :green:

Last edited:
Hello

New to this, want as much advice as poss. Setting up mobile as nail technician, also going to do waxing, tanning, eye lash extensions, brow shaping etc.

Can this be a good money earner if obviously done properly?
On average how many customers you have a day (I know everyones different but I mean do any of you have weeks where the money doesn't really come in due to Jack of custom?)
Which treatments are your most popular, biggest earner?
Have you found advertising in different ways bring more custom in?

Thanks
:lol:

I know I'm not answering the questions but as a suggestion if you do go mobile, all of those services would go great as a package. We get a lot more interest in 'packages' around Xmas/NYE for parties, July-ish time when all the school/college proms are on and around wedding season. I don't know the exact period of time around what you could call a 'wedding season' but hopefully you know what I mean ;)

Whatever you do, good luck and I'm sure you're going to enjoy it :D

Failure is the thing everyone fears, BUT why should you?? If you do a good job, if you give it your all and more importantly, the clients your all and you do gorgeous nails and have a good business brain and a professional attitude then why would you possibly fail?

It is the ones who 'play' around at nails, who are not dedicated to excellence, who charge peanuts who work in the kitchen over an ironing board, or 2 days a week only (some service that is!) who start out with not a penny to their name and buy naff products with naff education .. the ones who have an 'it will do' mentality ... these are the ones who always fail.

Good luck and remember these words!! :green:

I will most def take this advice on board. I'm being a wet fish, ignore me. I'm just going to get stuck in and do my absoloute best :green: no shortcuts or have 'it will do' attitude. Thank you xx

I know I'm not answering the questions but as a suggestion if you do go mobile, all of those services would go great as a package. We get a lot more interest in 'packages' around Xmas/NYE for parties, July-ish time when all the school/college proms are on and around wedding season. I don't know the exact period of time around what you could call a 'wedding season' but hopefully you know what I mean ;)

Whatever you do, good luck and I'm sure you're going to enjoy it :D

What a brilliant idea. I will be def giving this a lot of thought. Thank you for that :)
Xxx

i also work as a mua and i personally class wedding season as april-sept, they're my busiest months - with june-aug usually being booked out - but dont forget brides usually book well in advance so try to promote your services/packages during the quiet season. if you decide to go down the wedding fair route they usually run spring and autumn time - you can hopefully pick up regular clients also as well as one off bridal bookings - why not put together a selection of bridal packages or offer a pre wedding shellac party for the bride and her entourage, lots of new colours to match the outfits etc ..

also dont forget about kids manicure/nail art parties - i know a lot of nail techs frown upon these as they dont deem them to be serious nail services but i see them as a means to and end and although hard work i do enjoy running kids parties . the money i have made from them has enabled me to reinvest in further training and keep me buzy and focused whilst im "practicing" other nail treatments .. im really excited about minx as my daughters and their friends have been raving about it and ive already had enquiries from their mums, siblings and basically anyone who has seen their toes .. so id say invest in minx also, it sells itself! have just minxed my daughters dinner ladies toes and she insists on wearing open toe shoes at school to show them off - apparently keeps getting told off because of health and safety regs in the kitchen, lol

Totally risking hopping in the middle of this one... I agree with MissOwen, Tiffany's post didnt say "How can I make the most amount of money with the least amount of work, technical skill, training etc.?" From what could gather she was just curious whether or not it would ever pay off to be mobile, she got her answer and thanked ladyvic. What's the problem?

I totally agree with you NailVixen, good observation.

Is this all necessary really?!

This post is going way off topic getting into what may or may not have been said and in what way its meant and therefore nobody is now being helpful. I think everyone needs to get over it! If the OP is not offended then i am sure she will sort it out via PM with anyone relevant or report it.

Anyway.....

I think it most certainly can be a profitable business and very rewarding too. However, if like myself and many other geeks (I am a year into nails) you love all the pretty things, new things etc you may not see any profit for a long while- I spend any income gained on new products/training and pretties faster then it comes in still!
A good thing to get into to begin with will be the new gel polishes- shellac/gelish/geleration (the list is endless!). My shellac was making me profit after the first 2 weeks!

VERY SENSIBLE!
I`ve actually found your advice to be true cause that`s exactly what i do, i`m always buying stuff, i`ve actually vowed not to buy anything else until i`ve ran out of stuff now. :lol:
I`m only four months into the business and i just can`t wait to start earning, but in the mean time i`m just trying to get as much practice as i can. :)

I think it is possible to make money in this business but there are three points to bear in mind: you have to be good at your work, you have to be professional, and you have to have a business mind.

Being good at your job is obvious and it takes a lot of practise, but a whole business name could collapse if you produce shoddy work. I think it's important to do the best training you can and practise as much as you can and to never stop learning. This site certainly helps with that.

Being professional is important because it makes people treat you like you would want to be treated. If you look smart, turn up on time, are strict about rules that you set when you are working (whatever they are), and don't allow customers to treat you poorly, then you'll begin to build a business where you are treated with respect.

You have to have a business mind to turn a profit. You could be the best therapist/technician in the world but if you don't care about the money side of things then it could go wrong. Know your costs, charge for your time accordingly, and set your prices appropriately. Don't let anyone pay less than this (apart from your mum, sister, best friend). Buy good quality stock only when you need it. Don't be afraid to put prices up when costs go up. Don't forget to factor in overheads, whatever they are.

Stay strong. Setting up a business, whether it's mobile, freelance, or in a salon is hard work. One poster said it took her three years and I'd say that's average. If you want it, you'll work for it and it will be worth it. Never give up, and check Lynne Baker's thread on how to promote your business for ideas.

Good luck.

I think it is possible to make money in this business but there are three points to bear in mind: you have to be good at your work, you have to be professional, and you have to have a business mind.

Being good at your job is obvious and it takes a lot of practise, but a whole business name could collapse if you produce shoddy work. I think it's important to do the best training you can and practise as much as you can and to never stop learning. This site certainly helps with that.

Being professional is important because it makes people treat you like you would want to be treated. If you look smart, turn up on time, are strict about rules that you set when you are working (whatever they are), and don't allow customers to treat you poorly, then you'll begin to build a business where you are treated with respect.

You have to have a business mind to turn a profit. You could be the best therapist/technician in the world but if you don't care about the money side of things then it could go wrong. Know your costs, charge for your time accordingly, and set your prices appropriately. Don't let anyone pay less than this (apart from your mum, sister, best friend). Buy good quality stock only when you need it. Don't be afraid to put prices up when costs go up. Don't forget to factor in overheads, whatever they are.

Stay strong. Setting up a business, whether it's mobile, freelance, or in a salon is hard work. One poster said it took her three years and I'd say that's average. If you want it, you'll work for it and it will be worth it. Never give up, and check Lynne Baker's thread on how to promote your business for ideas.

Good luck.

This is a really excellent post and superb advice. Heed it.

I have known nail technicians who were brilliant, even a competition winner, who have failed miserably in nails because they had no business sense or experience. (You can always do training and get this knowledge if you don't have it already)

I have seen excellent nail technicians fail because they spent every penny they made on things not relevant to their business and wondered why they had no money for the stock they need?

And I have seen people fail because they can't deal with the pubic, had no confidence or just plain had no business ethics and only worked when they felt like it.

It isn't possible to succeed and make serious money without having the skills above ... all you will do is make pin money and fade out of sight pretty quickly as no one will take you seriously.

And I have seen hundreds fail because they strat their businesses with no funds and do everything on the cheap. No one is going to pay a realistic price for nails done on the cheap.

Sarah c.. You've really given me a brilliant idea there, I didn't even think of wedding fares. There's a fare on once a year at a really nice, respectable restaurant near me. I could set up a stall in that, brilliant. Thank you so much. I have also given thought about the kids parties which I think i may well do.. I will prob need to look into it. Lot more though on how they work etc. Thank you so much :hug:

SJK and Geeg, so very very true. Business skills are an absolute mystery, I agree. I'm at the minute doing my homework on this part of running a business. I will not be buying anything I do not need. I suppose a lot of people qualify and jump right in when actually you need time to practice and grow before buying this and that. I will most def be spending my money in the creative products and sticking to them, from what I have heard and seen on here their reputation and high standards speak volumes.
I just want to do this properly, and succeed in every way possible :). I have found you're posts so very helpful and I think business side is something I am going to have to really study before I set up. With posts saying money is being spent on pretty things and making no profit, I really hope it turns around for you guys... But as they say a wise woman learns from others mistakes..

Thank you all very much. Really do appreciate it :hug:

As a mobile tech of 6 years I have info to add. Katie is right in that it is not a quick way to make money, but she is also wrong in saying that mobile is not a long term viable option IMO.

It took me about 18 months to turn a profit, and another 18 months to get a regular client base with regular referrals. I work 9am til 3pm Monday to Friday with 3 evenings from 6:30pm. On a full day I can see 5 enhancement clients, I can do a french L+P rebablance in just under 90 mins leaving 10 mins for setting up/packing away/money/next appt and up to 30 mins to get to my next client. As my kids get older I can expand my working hours.

I charge similar or more than salons in my area because I have invested in my training and I am good at what I do. Even after 6 years mobile I have no intention of becoming salon based because mobile suits me, my life and my clients.

To make being mobile successful: get your prices right - if you set yourself too cheap you wont make any money, be disciplined with your time - make appts that maximise your time and travelling, be professional - offer a 'salon quality' service and be aware that you are offering a personal home-based service (like a personal trainer would).

Good luck with it all.

Hth's

WOW, even though your post wasn`t to me, you have really spoken to me, thank you. Great advice :)

Business skills are an absolute mystery, I agree. I'm at the minute doing my homework on this part of running a business. I will not be buying anything I do not need. I suppose a lot of people qualify and jump right in when actually you need time to practice and grow before buying this and that. I will most def be spending my money in the creative products and sticking to them, from what I have heard and seen on here their reputation and high standards speak volumes.

Lol TIffany - I think you may have just answered your own question there!!! I wish you all the best with your new venture, and its so refreshing to hear people actually taking on board advice given with a clear an open mind. You have definately got the right attitude to make a sucess of what you are setting out to achive
Good luck hun xx:hug:

V x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back