Shellac and Gelish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok so gna buy gelish 2day, what do i need to get?

an offer i so on the website is BUY GELISH FOUNDATION AND GET STRUCTURE SOAK OFF GEL FREE!!

is that all i would need?

You would need the Base foundation and the Top it Off top coat as well as colours of your choice.

The structure Gel is for building strength I believe and not a must if you are only offering Gelish as a NNO.

Phone Nail Harmony tomorrow they will be able to advise you properly in case I am mistaken in any of my advice

hth's

ok thanks will call just to double check.

my pleasure xx

I have been keeping a close eye on both products....

My personally choice would be for Shellac because it's unqiue and my clients would love a polish that lasts without the chipping etc but we know the product is hard to get hold of.

Gelish sounds good colour range etc, but at the end of the day it's still a gel and there's nothing unquie about that

So I think I will wait till Shellac settles down and gets good reliable stock in, maybe I will have to wait a month or more for stock..who knows. But I want to offer something different and great for my clients and I think Shellac ticks all those boxes :) xx

I have found this very interesting and I am sure that the makers of both brands will be also interested in this.

I am also pleased that on the whole it is a balanced and reasonable discussion and hasnt degenerated into a slagging off match that some similar threads have LOL.

I think at the end of the day it comes down to who your clients are as to which would be the defining factor in choosing which to go with.

Great Post Natural Nails..
We think its fantastic for the Nail professional that you have a wider range of colours and products to offer.. this in turn with the vast array of treatments available means the paying client has a MUCH wider choice and will keep them coming back for years to come.

Kelly we look forward to hearing from you.

With regards to the comment of uniqueness we at Harmony are very proud of Gelish with 3 patents pending and of course uniqueness of the LED lamp curing capabilities, ww offer chip free manicures that last upto 3 weeks
However, if you are happy with your product that alone will install confidence in your self, your salon and ultimately your ever loving ever loyal customers. :)

Ah yes Nail Harmony, sorry I did forget you had the LED lamp which is unique and fab that it works so fast, 10 seconds if im correct?( Although we are all waiting for it to arrive just like the Shallac lamp lol) Also Gelish does come in in larger bottles than Shellac which is always a added bonus

One good thing about Shellac is that if your not trained in gel nails, you can use this without getting in trouble with your insurance company as it's not a gel but a hybrid polish, so can be used by any nail tech with a mani/pdei cert

So I guess at the end of the day, both products are great..it's just a personally preference :) xx

Last edited:
I have clients calling me and specifically asking for Shellac. To those who offer both have your Shellac clients tried Gelish? Do you charge it at the same price?

Do you have to hold a gel certificate to offer Gelish?

Hi, with regards to insurance, , do you have to take out a policy on everything, I am qualified in gel, l and p and wraps and my insurance is simply nail technition. How would your insurance not cover for use of gellish? xx

I have found this very interesting and I am sure that the makers of both brands will be also interested in this.

I am also pleased that on the whole it is a balanced and reasonable discussion and hasnt degenerated into a slagging off match that some similar threads have LOL.

I think at the end of the day it comes down to who your clients are as to which would be the defining factor in choosing which to go with.

Personally I dont have clients who would go for glitter and if they do then I have other options to add glitter. I havent had any client who has said, oh are those the only colours? So I am happy with my choice. I can make a gorgeous purple using fedora and negligee.

Maybe in the future if my client base changes to a younger more glittery crowd then I might look at adding in some of the Gelish colours.

Hey Fiona!

I agree about the level of posts on this thread! If only they all were!!??

There's a place and a space for all. I've tried both. They have their differences but both do 'what they say on the bottle'. Like polish ranges, they have their different characteristics and it is for the individual to choose.

Shellac was the first to market, has a certain finesse and classy detail about it and a great new lamp. Gelish has a great colour range (even without the sparkles!) and the first LED (which works). Haven't tried Geleration and haven't read about any unique characteristics about it yet, although I'm sure it performs very well.

Good luck to all of them I say and congratulations in creating a massive step up for salon services over retail brands. Lets hope it's a long time before the concept finds its way into the retail market! It will eventually but hopefully the professionals will have benefited enormously first!

Hold on Ladies lol

Im not saying your not covered to use Gelish...you would have to have a cert in gel nails

What I was saying is that if your using Shellac, then all you need is a mani/pedi cert, so for tech's that haven't trained in gels this would be good for them ...I think I'm correct ?

:) xx

Ah yes, I see with the insurance now, yes with shellac you only need be qualified in mani and pedi to use but if with gelish you would need to be qualified in nail technology/gel!! My bad for not understanding :) Great thread bye the way!! No rows lovely XXXXXX

Ah yes, I see with the insurance now, yes with shellac you only need be qualified in mani and pedi to use but if with gelish you would need to be qualified in nail technology/gel!! My bad for not understanding :) Great thread bye the way!! No rows lovely XXXXXX
To my understanding gelish is a mixture between a gel and a polish, therefor would be treated by the insurance company as the same treatment as Shellac! Is this right? X
Posted via Mobile Device

Natalieabdn ...Gelish is still a gel....called gel polish because of the colours you can get and used as a nno rather than for strength etc...but bottom line is: It's still a soak off gel and therefore you would still need a cert in gels.

Sarahpoppy No worries lol :) x

That's for the info. That rules Gelish out for me then.

Natalieabdn ...Gelish is still a gel....called gel polish because of the colours you can get and used as a nno rather than for strength etc...but bottom line is: It's still a soak off gel and therefore you would still need a cert in gels.

This may not be correct as the Nail Harmony distributor for the UK is running a demo/training day soon & in the info it states you need a mani/pedi qualification! This would suggest you do not need to be certified in gel to use Gelish. Which would mean it would nor affect your insurance. Hope this helps.

Wg19...you could be right..it's quite interesting how these different products have been classed.....

Therefore how it works with regards to insurance...for example would the class them as a polish or class them as gels

Anyway Im sure Nail Harmony will come and let us all know soon lol :) x

Wg19...you could be right..it's quite interesting how these different products have been classed.....

Therefore how it works with regards to insurance...for example would the class them as a polish or class them as gels

Anyway Im sure Nail Harmony will come and let us all know soon lol :) x

Yes, let's hope they can clarify, I am using both systems & to be perfectly honest with you I can't see any difference, am using no buff application for both, base, 2 coats colour & topcoat. Getting the same thin polished look nails that last, am using the same removal method for both systems too.

Perhaps the main difference (& I'm not talking chemically here, just with regard to application, wear & removal) is that one company is using the words hybrid polish & the other soak off gel polish?

Originally Posted by bronzewolf
i have tried both and went for gelish because

size of bottle and colours
wider brush
exiting colour range incl sparkly finishes (not old colours in creative shape bottles, seen it all before)
dont have to buy a new lamp

posted by Spoilt:

and no mixing colours gelish have 48 whhooopp:hug:

TOTALLY AGREE ! also the friendliness and fast delivery service is second to non... i ordered at 2 one day it was here next am WOW ... and jason and georgie are easy to chat to about application and colours and they know there stuff.

I've just found a post from Georgie, who i believe is now the UK distributor for Hamony and Gelish. This is what she said regarding gelish

'Re Gelish being another soak off gel, this is also incorrect. It has a degree of strength to it, more so than polish, but it too is a hybrid, or FUSION between Gel and Polish, you can smell the polish in it just as you can with Shellac (as I've seen mentioned here).
Why do you think Harmony called it Gelish!! :D'

I would think it would fall in the same box as shellac as far as insurance was concerned.

Here's a link to the thread if you would like to read her full post http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/110292-gelish-gel-polishes-8.html its around half way down page 8 and is posted by 'monkeystails'

Hopefully this will help with the confusion on insurance :hug:

Latest posts

Back