In an industry saturated with discount salons, what does the future hold

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talking about working for free x
When i was a salon junior 7 years ago
My shift was 10am - 7 pm
My boss booked me in back to back luxury pedis
I had no dinner or break etc
And at the end if the day she said
I noticed how many tips you got so that will make up for your wages !
And didn't pay me a bean!
Not even a well done , my clients were all happy as You can tell by my tips i received

I was totaly shocked at this and walked out there and then xx

If i ever own my own salon or any business i would never do this to anyone x

Well done for walking out!!!!!!

The point about the Register is that it is backed by government! Its the industry that need to get behind it. But before its even started BABTAC are disagreeing with it while refusing to enter into any discussions.

The associations are not helping. They are the ones that, for a fee, will accredit training courses including the courses that so many advise against on this forum!

It all comes down to money.

The point about the Register is that it is backed by government! Its the industry that need to get behind it. But before its even started BABTAC are disagreeing with it while refusing to enter into any discussions.

The associations are not helping. They are the ones that, for a fee, will accredit training courses including the courses that so many advise against on this forum!

It all comes down to money.

Oh well in that case I'm supportive 100% where do I sign?! but realistically as you say most people probably don't know about it... Or have no faith in it! it's going to take years to affect proper change, as well as change in peoples per conceptions of the industry as a whole! It's always about money, sadly and bureaucracy which is a crying shame!

I went and had a proper look at my local nss last night, while waiting for my curry (naughty naughty). No certificates on the walls and there is a sign in the window offering 'Nail Extention Training', spelt like that btw. How can they offer training? I'm bemused...

Anyway. Think happy thoughts :) xx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Oh well in that case I'm supportive 100% where do I sign?! but realistically as you say most people probably don't know about it... Or have no faith in it! it's going to take years to affect proper change, as well as change in peoples per conceptions of the industry as a whole! It's always about money, sadly and bureaucracy which is a crying shame!

Some of us have been trying for 30 years to affect changes and Marian more than most.

Changes don't have to be brought about through government legislation nor intervention. Each individual can make a change by being an example of what constitutes the best our industry has to offer. I and many others have done it and been very successful at it, and there are thousands of clients who know it and appreciate it. An individual's personal standards reflect the standard of the salon and the type of clients who patronise it. If people want quality, they will seek it out ... If they don't care, they won't. Anyone knows a shoddy salon when they see it ... If they choose to give them their money and to be handled roughly by a salon like that, then they are fools or they don't give a rats behind.

It doesn't help the industry when "celebrities" who know nothing get involved...

Here in Liverpool singer Rebecca Ferguson has recently opened her new beauty salon and this is what made me :twisted::twisted::twisted:

Book in for your sunjunkie spray tan for this weekend! Today and tomorrow we are open till 7pm! Offer for this week and next just £10 for a spray tan

Lovely shellac by our apprentice Ashley, shellac offer for this week and next week £8 only

Then this little gem...

I'm in london recording at the minute wanted to say hello to everybody that has popped into the shop, still so much more i want to do with it, it's been fun creating my own beauty shop , i have literally set up the shop for fun! that's why i haven't had press their i mucked in painted hung up mirrors designed and picked everything was carting around B&Q, to me it's something aside from my music where people can pop in and the prices aren't ridiculous.. lots of love xxx Rebecca

---------------------------------------------------------

Now OK, these may be special offers but £8 for Shellac? Really??

And the fact that she admits she set up the shop purely for FUN and admits her prices aren't ridiculous??

Surely a slap in the face for most professionals who have worked hard to get where they are today.

Such a shame as I really did quite like her.

It doesn't help the industry when "celebrities" who know nothing get involved...

Here in Liverpool singer Rebecca Ferguson has recently opened her new beauty salon and this is what made me :twisted::twisted::twisted:

Book in for your sunjunkie spray tan for this weekend! Today and tomorrow we are open till 7pm! Offer for this week and next just £10 for a spray tan

Lovely shellac by our apprentice Ashley, shellac offer for this week and next week £8 only

Then this little gem...

I'm in london recording at the minute wanted to say hello to everybody that has popped into the shop, still so much more i want to do with it, it's been fun creating my own beauty shop , i have literally set up the shop for fun! that's why i haven't had press their i mucked in painted hung up mirrors designed and picked everything was carting around B&Q, to me it's something aside from my music where people can pop in and the prices aren't ridiculous.. lots of love xxx Rebecca

And the fact that she admits she set up the shop purely for FUN and admits her prices aren't ridiculous??

Surely a slap in the face for most professionals who have worked hard to get where they are today.

What! How annoying? For fun!!!!! Oh no that would really annoy me too!!! In fact it has really annoyed me!!!

What! How annoying? For fun!!!!! Oh no that would really annoy me too!!! In fact it has really annoyed me!!!

I know, whether they are special sort term offers or not, they are seriously undercutting.

Let's see how happy she is when her CD's are on offer for the bargain basement price of 50p...

That won't be "fun" will it? :twisted::twisted::twisted:

Actually just read that she used to be a beauty therapist herself so don't quite understand why her prices are so low??

Then this little gem...

Sorry, but what exactly did people expect when they demanded cheaper and faster training? Did they really think that making it easy to train as a nail tech would bring great benefits to the industry?

Now, individually, you can all tell me that your few days training was 'intense' and that you personally are 'passionate', but if that was true, you would set aside a few years of your life like some of us had to.
When beauty training was two years full time, therapists were charging more, were in demand for jobs, and it was a well paid occupation.
As an industry, you reap what you sow. You wanted quick, cheap 'qualifications', and with that comes oversupply of services= price reduction.

It's a simple rule of economics when;
Supply=demand=price stability
Supply<demand=price rises
Supply>demand=price falls

There's always been non-industry salon owners, the fact that celebrities feel that owning a salon is a 'fun' thing, shows her own ignorance. Salons can burn through cash if you're not in the know. Rest assured, her new toy will quickly go the way of Jades salon, and sink without trace before you know it.

Sorry, but what exactly did people expect when they demanded cheaper and faster training? Did they really think that making it easy to train as a nail tech would bring great benefits to the industry?

Now, individually, you can all tell me that your few days training was 'intense' and that you personally are 'passionate', but if that was true, you would set aside a few years of your life like some of us had to.
When beauty training was two years full time, therapists were charging more, were in demand for jobs, and it was a well paid occupation.
As an industry, you reap what you sow. You wanted quick, cheap 'qualifications', and with that comes oversupply of services= price reduction.

It's a simple rule of economics when;
Supply=demand=price stability
Supply<demand=price rises
Supply>demand=price falls

There's always been non-industry salon owners, the fact that celebrities feel that owning a salon is a 'fun' thing, shows her own ignorance. Salons can burn through cash if you're not in the know. Rest assured, her new toy will quickly go the way of Jades salon, and sink without trace before you know it.

Spot on, Dawn. Here today, gone tomorrow.

When a salon is a fun diversion and hobby for the owner, she is completely dependent on those who work in it for a HER reputation ... People who work for someone else then feel entitled to take and steal and the other things we all know about. Like Dawn, I have seen it happen a thousand times ... Always a disaster in the making. A nosy flutter of excitement at the start because of who the celebrity is, though I confess I've never heard of her, and then just watch and see and don't concern yourself.

I know, whether they are special sort term offers or not, they are seriously undercutting.

Let's see how happy she is when her CD's are on offer for the bargain basement price of 50p...

That won't be "fun" will it? :twisted::twisted::twisted:

Actually just read that she used to be a beauty therapist herself so don't quite understand why her prices are so low??

Shes another one to devalue this brand.
I feel for the other local therapists in that area, i hope it hasn't affected them too much.

Shes another one to devalue this brand.
I feel for the other local therapists in that area, i hope it hasn't affected them too much.

Unfortunately here in Liverpool it's saturated with beauty therapists. It's hard, I started out offering Shellac for £25 and was getting that no problem. Then came the likes of Groupon and the hobby bobbies and I've had to lower my prices. However, I won't go below £20.

Unfortunately here in Liverpool it's saturated with beauty therapists. It's hard, I started out offering Shellac for £25 and was getting that no problem. Then came the likes of Groupon and the hobby bobbies and I've had to lower my prices. However, I won't go below £20.

Of course, Liverpool, I've heard you ladies luvrvvve your beauty :D. My gelish is £20, sometimes i wish I'd gone to about £23 / £25 but i had to decide so went with £20, but no don't go any lower.

Evidence of poor sanitation & disinfection .....scary

Oh my god! Xx
How the hell did they get to that point xx

It's hard to educate them? I spent 2 hours soaking off a 17 year olds nails from one of those shops!( I carnt call it a salon) she was a friend of my daughters? Her nails were appalling & badly damaged? I reapplied Brisa sculpting gel & re booked her in to be a model with my daughter who has just passed her gel course with distinction? Two days later the girl put her nails on face book she had been back to that shop? Even after she sat gutted at the state of her nails she wasn't prepared to wait 3 days? It sadens me so much that no matter how hard we try they just go back x

Then this little gem...

Oh my god has she really ?

Where about in Liverpool is it?
She used to live in the next street to me but she moved when she was on x factor x

Oh my god has she really ?

Where about in Liverpool is it?
She used to live in the next street to me but she moved when she was on x factor x

In Childwall, 3 miles from me...

To be honest it makes me laugh when you get salon owners criticising mobile therapists for cheap prices, when here I am a mobile therapist offering Shellac for £20 and the salons are offering it for £8...

I just wish everyone would stick to a level playing field, whether you're salon based or mobile.

I also work in secondary education as well as having a small home based beauty salon.
Very often the young girls are telling me they are off to have acrylics done at these NSS salons, recently one of them was telling me about the drills they use and that it makes her nails sore, they often rush so much that they slip and catch the skin !! They go because it's conveinent and they don't need parental permission. I did tell them all that acrylics should not be a painful experience and never cause pain.

I had one lady come to me after having them done in an NSS salon and she couldn't get them off she had bits of acrylic still on her nails, this stuff does not soak off it has to be removed by filing it took me hours as I didn't want to be damaging her nail bed and then making it sore.

Round here they are not as cheap as £8 it's about £20 which is what I charge. I charge less as I am a very small business and I am trying to build up my client base as I am based in a small rural village and can't be pricing myself out of the market.

In Childwall, 3 miles from me...

To be honest it makes me laugh when you get salon owners criticising mobile therapists for cheap prices, when here I am a mobile therapist offering Shellac for £20 and the salons are offering it for £8...

I just wish everyone would stick to a level playing field, whether you're salon based or mobile.

Oooooo my mates lives in childwall ,
I work in the gym next to alan Howard in wavertree :)

Whats your salon called x

Il keep an eye out for her new salon too x

Latest posts

Back